Subject: Re: As if the DMCA wasn't bad enough
From: Ben_Tilly@trepp.com
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 10:40:31 -0400

Lynn Winebarger wrote:
> On Saturday 08 September 2001 15:06, Bernard Lang wrote:
> > PS why do you assume that Republicans and Democrats agree on this
> > proposal ... I did not see it in the article.
> >
>      Well, the DMCA was passed 99-0 in the senate in '98, passed
> overall by a Republican Congress and a Democrat President.
>      More importantly, the supporters of this type of legislation have
> deep pockets, and it's spun as a moral rights issue rather than an
> implementation of public policy solely to further the progress of the
> arts and sciences.  It's much easier for the proponents to spin a
> simple-minded moral issue (theft) than opponents to discuss the proper
> balance of public and private interests in the tradeoff that is
> copyright, particularly in the age of the soundbyte.

Then perhaps the opponents of such measures need to make it into a
simple moral issue as well.  What that is and how to couch it is going
to be hard, but we need something.

My gut reaction is, "Their talk of piracy is like a magician's
assistant tripping into something on the other side of stage to
distract the audience while the magician removes the rabbit from
the hat.  Don't be distracted and don't be fooled.  The real
pirates here are the intellectual property thieves who are stealing
our *CONSTITUTIONAL* right to fairly use what we have bought and
paid for!"

Can anyone find a concise way to express their reaction?  We are far
more in need of a few good slogans than well-written tracts that only
the choir will read.

Another thing to think about.  There are a lot of companies and people
who are upset at the BSA right now.  That would be a good feeling to
tap into.  I fear that I will only demonstrate why I am not, and will
never make a good rabble rouser, but the basic message should be,
"Are you fed up with the BSA calling you a thief?  Buy a memory
upgrade and their 'security provisions' lock your computer up.  Now
they want to put you in jail."

And in the spirit of trying to inspire through painfully bad example,
"The Constitution gives copyright and patent as a temporary lease.  Now
the software industry is trying to steal permanent ownership."

Any other attempts?  If someone came up with something reasonable, I
would be willing to make a personal donation to an advertising
campaign...

Ben