Subject: Re: Free Software in Embedded Systems (was Re: Studies)
From: Chris Maeda <cmaeda@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 16:23:40 -0700

>--> Chris Maeda <cmaeda@alum.mit.edu>
>> software.  Free software only seems to work in niches
>> that are too small to support proprietary vendors. Once
>> a market gets big enough, the superior economics
>> (cheaper for users, more profits for vendors) of the
>> proprietary model always win.
>
>  Could you elaborate your argument. What makes the proprietary model
>economically better.

If I write free software, I don't see how I could ever
secure investment capital for software development unless
it was part of some larger strategy, such as using free
software as an enabler for embedded hardware.  Engineering
is a huge expense and the free software community has yet
to come up with a solution for building large software
systems in an economically rational way in a reasonable
amount of time.

Time is the key thing here.  Free software can eventually
do what proprietary stuff does, you just have to wait a
few more years.