Subject: Re: authentication systems (.NET, .GNU): Its the desktop, dummy.
From: "Brian J. Fox" <bfox@ua.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 03:49:36 -0700

   Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 18:26:58 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Zimran Ahmed <zimran_ahmed@yahoo.com>
   re: passport

   centralized password info has marginal utility to
   consumers. the simplest solution is just to have a
   text expander on every desktop (it should come
   standard) where people record their own password
   expansions.

This ignores the fact that without my desktop (or if it crashes!) I'm
back to attempting to manage the 34 passwords I (no longer) have
stored in my brain.

   as for location independent services, well, lets be
   fair and gauge how important that is *really* to
   users. most folks i know use the same computer all the
   time. probably not worth the risks passport brings.

Perhaps because of the large investment they have in the data stored
on that computer.  If such data was distributed, the particular piece
of hardware that is used to access it is of much less interest.

I'm quite angry at MSFT for their gall vis-a-vis Passport, Hailstorm,
and C#.

However, this simply creates fuel for the creative juices -- why not
distribute all of the personal password data throughout the list of my
myriad personal devices, including my cell phone, my laptop, my Palm,
etc.  Perhaps I would then need to memorize a single passphrase to
unlock that data for use in any particular session, but it could be
available to me in a location independent way, and the actual data
would be under my control, not Microsoft's.

brian
== The Difference Between Cultures: ==
    Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit
    Liberte', E'galite', Fraternite'