Subject: Re: authentication systems (.NET, .GNU): Its the desktop, dummy.
From: "Brian J. Fox" <bfox@ua.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 11:02:29 -0700

   Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 13:41:13 -0300 (BRT)
   From: Christian Robottom Reis <kiko@async.com.br>

   On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Willem Konynenberg wrote:

   > I think the way to "wrestle the desktop away from Microsoft", if you
   > want to think of it that way, is to redefine "the desktop".
   > That's basically how Microsoft did it 15 years ago, leaving IBM and
   > others behind in full ownership of their previous incarnation of the
   > desktop "monopoly", now worthless.

   That's rather what my opinion of it is. I think we're all trying to
   compete against major companies that have firmly routed beliefs of what
   "desktop" is. But is the current "desktop" concept actually what it should
   be?

   One thing that impresses me is how far we are from it, and how suited
   Linux would be as a basis for it. Just remove the bootup messages ('s been
   done already), change the way /sbin/init works a bit, use 100% journaling,
   and provide a good, simple interface to a word processor, a web browser,
   mail app, and a spreadsheet. Integrate other apps into this framework as
   time goes by if we find it necessary, but keep the UI simple. I think
   therein lies a good chance of success. We don't need space-age apps.

Hey, you've invented the 1984 Apple Macintosh!

Until there is a fundamental breakthrough in the way people interact
with computers (e.g., gesture based UI's, high quality UI's) all
desktops will share the essentials.

My idea of the "new desktop" is "dumb" terminals everywhere --
high-resolution screens (like your next-generation TV), voice input
modules, virtual (or concrete) keyboards -- each one of which is
available to accept input or display output, perhaps from data
contained in your cell phone.

Brian
== The Difference Between Cultures: ==
    Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit