Subject: Re: authentication systems (.NET, .GNU): Its the desktop, dummy.
From: Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 11:55:47 -0700

begin Willem Konynenberg quotation of Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 03:27:39PM +0200:

> I think the way to "wrestle the desktop away from Microsoft", if you
> want to think of it that way, is to redefine "the desktop".

Microsoft has a history of allying themselves with people that
other vendors thought were too poor and too clueless to be in the
market for a computer, or a server OS, or an RDBMS, or a desktop
publishing program, or whatever.

Microsoft sold those customers cheap stuff that worked better
than nothing.

Once those customers advanced in their organizations, or got better
jobs, thanks to Microsoft skills, they stayed with the brand name
that made them successful.  And as those customers get bigger
budgets, Microsoft's products have crept up the food chain to
compete with the products of the slow, arrogant vendors.

Fighting Microsoft for their existing customers is what a butthead
Un*x vendor would do.

Microsoft users are not the majority.  People who don't use computers
at all are the majority.

--
Don Marti      What do we want?  Free Dmitry!  When do we want it?  Now!
http://zgp.org/~dmarti                      Free Dmitry: http://eff.org/