Subject: Re: ok, FSBs created schwag; now bet the farm on something better
From: Adam Turoff <ziggy@panix.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 21:55:30 -0400

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 12:36:50AM +0200, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> > *>Why shouldn't the proper place for FSB research be where it has
> > *>historically been: in the academic community?
> >
> > Universities are corporations these days with financial concerns of their
> > own.
>
> I think it is possible to make a very strong case that a focus
> on Free Software research would be a wise Business Strategy for
> the computer science department of every university.

It's easier to argue the converse, that wise business strategies
lead to free software research.  We've got UNIX and the internet
today because of DARPA funding, not the other way around.

Free Software research probably won't draw significant funds into
academia per se.  Universities that cultivate corporate partnerships
will probably have a better chance at producing free software.

Z.