Subject: Re: ok, FSBs created schwag; now bet the farm on something better
From: Adam Turoff <ziggy@panix.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 18:53:27 -0400

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 12:12:10PM +0200, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> Innovation cannot be really be planned or managed,

True enough, but then you continue:

> but it tends to occur with the greatest frequency in environments that
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> encourage open, participatory processes, but where at the same
> time those who have promising ideas are given the freedom to
> pursue their ideas.

So there's a relationship between open environments and innovation.
But it isn't necessarily a causal relationship.  Do open environments
cause innovation, or is innovation likely to occur where commercial
investment finds an open environment?

Bell Labs and Xerox PARC are two examples of innovation occurring
with commercial investment in an open environment outside of the ivory
tower.  ENIAC and Project Whirlwind are two examples of innovation
occuring within the halls of academia only because of the deep pockets
of the US Department of War (er, Defense).

> A focus on Free Software research will create such an environment.

I still fail to see a causal relationship here.  Maybe that's just me.

Z.