Subject: Re: ok, FSBs created schwag; now bet the farm on something better
From: Peter Wayner <pcw2@flyzone.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 22:54:52 -0400

>>  A focus on Free Software research will create such an environment.
>
>I still fail to see a causal relationship here.  Maybe that's just me.

I have to agree. One of the neater aspects of free software is the
lack of featuritis. People add features to the software when it's
worth their time to do so. There's no central group on salary
spawning ideas. Yes, in the past these groups of "people on salary"
have given us things like the transistor, the polio vaccine, and a
few other quantum leaps. But they've also produced Microsoft Word, a
software program with more features than anyone can ever use in their
lifetime.

The research culture is plenty of fun and wildly creative, but it is
a far cry from the very practical impulses that produced the Apache
webserver.

Just a thought.