Subject: Re: ok, FSBs created schwag; now bet the farm on something better
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 12:44:17 +0200

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 12:05:19PM -0400, Russell Nelson wrote:
> Elaine -HFB- Ashton writes:
>  > Ian Lance Taylor [ian@airs.com] quoth:
>  > *>
>  > *>But it won't bring in enough revenue to support itself.
>  > *>
>  > *>Why shouldn't the proper place for FSB research be where it has
>  > *>historically been: in the academic community?
>  >
>  > Universities are corporations these days with financial concerns of their
>  > own.
>
> They have *always* been corporations with financial concerns -- maybe
> they're only realizing that now, but I doubt it.  But what are
> universities selling?  Among other things, they rent their reputation.
> How do they establish their reputation?  By marketing themselves, of
> course.  What's the best way to do that?  Demonstrate that their
> graduates are able to do the Next New Thing.  How?  By inventing the
> Next New Thing.

But that does not mean that their policies to achive that aim will be wise.

One may believe that strong IP will encourage innovation, and that may
be wrong.

One may believe that tight cooperation with industry will help
innovation and reputation, and that may (or may not) be wrong too in
the long run.

When I started in research, it was generally accepted that really new
ideas would take 20 years to find significant (money wise) industrial
application.  i.e. true innovators do not benefit from the patent system.

Bernard

                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX