Subject: Re: ok, FSBs created schwag; now bet the farm on something better
From: Peter Wayner <pcw2@flyzone.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 08:58:28 -0400

 Thu, 20 Sep 2001 08:58:28 -0400
At 9:10 PM -0400 9/18/01, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
>  > ...But they've also produced Microsoft Word, a
>>  software program with more features than anyone can ever use in their
>>  lifetime.
>
>Just a reminder: Word didn't come out of research. It came out of
>development. The research editor that it is (now distantly) based on came
>from Xerox, and was a thing of great beauty.

Okay, I'll bite. I was trying to brief, but I've got time here. The
distinction is beyond argument because it driven by style, taste and
class. One man's beautiful research is another's grim development.

It's very easy to find examples of how Microsoft "research" helps
products. Here's a quote from an MS press release:

Examples range from ClearType® display technology and grammar
checkers to functionality in Microsoft SQL Server that enables the
high-speed analysis of complex data patterns. Recent products such as
the Windows® 2000 operating system and Office XP include numerous
underlying technological improvements developed by Microsoft
Research.
(http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2001/sep01/09-05MSR10AnnivPR.asp)

If you read through the MS research website, it's easy to find
"researchers" who seem to be glad to talk about how their "research"
added features to Word and other MS products.

* If you click on a link to an audio file, you get the Windows Media
Player with high grade crypto from the research group helping stop
nasty copyright infringement. (That's a feature in demand among the
Napsterites.)
http://research.microsoft.com/crypto/openbox.asp

* If you ask your .NET version of Word to use voice recognition, look
for technology from the Speech Technologies Group:
http://research.microsoft.com/srg/

* Do your True Type fonts look nice on the screen? Thank the graphics group:
http://research.microsoft.com/graphics/

There are dozens of examples that range from spell checkers to that
pesky talking paperclip.

My point, though, is that much of the high-profile free software was
not built by people seeking to make something "new and improved".
Researchers in universities need to create "new and improved" things
because the papers won't be accepted if they aren't new and improved
enough. Marketeers need new and improved to get people to pay for an
upgraded version of the software.

Large, important parts of the world of open source/free software is
not really driven by "new and improved". Eric Raymond likes to say
that it is built by people who want to "scratch an itch". That is,
they just want the machine in front of them to do what they want.
They're not searching for papers. They're not searching for jazzy
features. They're not coming up with metaphors about agents, fuzzy
logic, contraint-based reasoning or whatever the new academic fashion
happens to be. They're just making the things run.

One of the things that continues to astound me about the
Linux/GNU/FreeBSD/Apache world is how disconnected it is from the
university. Long ago, Richard Stallman, Kirk McKusick, Keith Bostick,
Jordan Hubbard,  and many others worked in universities. Not anymore.
Linus Torvalds was never more than an undergraduate. Yet, the
software is pretty nice.

The open source world is really a very different community that has
similar goals to the academic world, but a style all of its own.
Papers, citations, and to some extent grants aren't really worth as
much. People write the software because they need it and they share
it because they think that others might be able to help them.

Of course, now that I say that I should qualify it by saying that
nothing in this statement is solid, guaranteed, or true for all
members of the class. There are people in the open source community
who say they do "research", there are people who say they do
something entirely different. There are projects in the university
that concentrate on producing usable code. There are open source
projects that are infatuated with adding new features. There are
plenty of counterexamples.

It's an argument about word choice and those discussions usually
don't converge. I think, though, that the distinctions are important
because the feedback loops are so different.