Subject: the .NET battle ends
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 15:32:05 -0700 (PDT)

From http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2813501,00.html

          MS: You don't trust us? OK, we'll open Passport, Hailstorm
                       David Coursey,
                        Executive Editor, AnchorDesk

          Microsoft says it wants Passport and Hailstorm, its
          foundation services for Web-based applications, to play well
          with others. So in a shocking move, the company is
          announcing today that Passport will be changed to use an
          Internet-standard security model and Hailstorm won't be the
          only place for users to store their personal information.

          For months, Microsoft has been taking [I would say
          "generating" -t] heat from critics upset about Microsoft's
          apparent plan to make itself the repository of users'
          passwords, calendars, contact lists, and other information
          that might prove useful to future Web-based
          applications. Now, Microsoft says, anyone will be able to
          join what it's calling a "federation of trust" and provide
          those services themselves.

From http://www.crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?mss:6208:200109:hfgokbkkamodbjmpekcl

     If open source advocates win the distributed/centralized auth
     service battle, they will still have lost the war by wasting
     effort legitimizing web standards that are being created simply
     to advance MS's proprietary software business models.

     Passport is being promoted to fill a much larger role than "web
     wallet".  If I understand correctly, Passport is also intended to
     act as a sort of key manager to enforce per-user licensing of MS
     software.

     [....]

     My larger point was that there is no good reason for open source
     projects to be chasing .NET standards, and indeed, good reasons
     for them not to.  The fact that we already have all the
     technology we need for on-line wallets is evidence in favor of
     that [....]

-t