Subject: Re: the .NET battle ends
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 01:25:15 +0900

    Ben> And finally I don't think that Microsoft has ceded the
    Ben> principle one bit.  It is convenient for them to act in
    Ben> accord with the principle on one occasion.

No.  Microsoft insists that open source is the work of the devil, that
open standards guarantee a perpetual neolithic lifestyle for all of
us.  That is the principle that they have ceded.

Of course they're not going to climb in bed with rms.  Since that's
apparently the way you define "cede the principle" I conclude you're
as absolutist as Gates is.

    Ben> And it is very cleverly done so that it will be very hard for
    Ben> people who understand what is going on to explain to
    Ben> non-technical people exactly why this gesture is meaningless.

    >> What else is new?

    Ben> For Microsoft?  Not much.

No, for non-technical people.  After all, aren't they the same ones
who think that Microsoft products actually make their lives easier and
help them accomplish the work _they_ need to do?