Subject: Re: ok, FSBs created schwag; now bet the farm on something better
From: Peter Wayner <pcw2@flyzone.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 13:37:11 -0400

>I suppose it depends on what space you look at; my primary exposure is
>to infrastructure tools, so I see Athena (incl. kerberos) at MIT,
>OpenAFS at CMU, Heimdall/Arla at KTH, Cyrus (CMU again), etc.
>Perhaps that's because they're more focussed on solving technical
>problems [which they have because they're large universities] than
>movements :-)
>
>And I can't forget Prof. Felton at Princeton (deCSS) or Dr. Touretsky
>at CMU; that entire issue is very much tied to academic Free software...

1)

First, your examples about infrastructure tools are good ones. I've
always felt that I wasn't making a solid argument because there are
hundreds of counter examples. I've always conceded that I was waving
my hands and talking about attitude and style. Or maybe volume.

Second,  it's your turn to look for better examples. :-) DeCSS was
written by some anonymous Euros, perhaps while slacking their way
through universities. Maybe while working for MS. One brave guy stuck
his head out and was "detained" by the police. He was not a
professor. 2600 magazine in the US was sued for  passing along the
code and providing a reference on where to find it. The EFF was there
fighting and defending 2600.

Touretsky's leadership is spirited, witty, and wise, but he's not
facing the real brunt of the matter. Again, 2600 magazine was the one
being sued.  I don't remember CMU leading anyone over the barricades.

Felten et al just  wanted to publish a text describing how to crack
SDMI's public challenge. I think Princeton could have defended him
with much more vigor. It's kind of sad that the EFF, not the $6
billion+ PU endowment, had to mount the defense.

The courts seem to believe that crypto research is only exempt from
the DMCA if it's done by a professor. Anyone else is a hacker, a
pirate, or a terrorist. It would be nice if the universities would
try to open up the umbrella more to embrace the non-tenured people in
pursuit of education and enlightenment.

I guess I mean to damn the universities with faint praise. Some
professors are doing cool things. Some are even leading the fight.
But given the resources, the connections, and the gobs of money
squirreled away in their tax-free accounts, the so-called beacons of
openness and enlightenment are really sitting on the sidelines.

2)

Having said that, let me take your side for a moment to help along
the discussion. In almost all areas, computer science departments
have not been able to keep up with industry and the larger cultural
movement of the Internet. Universities are well-funded, but Sun,
Microsoft, Intel, IBM, HP, and others have serious amounts of money.
For a time, Red Hat and VA Linux had tons too. Shoot, even IBM and
Microsoft have some of the best theorists.

Universities are also loose-knit collections of sole proprietors.
Every professor tends to run a single person business and one person
can only offer so much leadership. This extreme balkanization
prevents the university from ever creating the infrastructure of a
company like Red Hat. It just won't happen. That's not the business
that they're in. They'll be there with the small, innovative
projects. You'll see them doing the weird stuff. But, the university
is not the place for big movements. For better or for worse, Linux,
FreeBSD and the others are now big stuff.