Subject: Re: Objective IT review of Redhat
From: "Brian J. Fox" <bfox@ua.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 10:38:06 -0700

   From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
   Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 12:19:23 +0900

   >>>>> "Tom" == Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com> writes:

       Tom> Really, a little imagination,

   Unfortunately, we don't _have_ intuition for the desktop.  Why should
   we?  We don't use desktops or the important apps on them!

       Tom> armed with good technological prejudices and backed up with
       Tom> money, can do a lot of good.  That's something we should have
       Tom> been doing for the past 5 years, at least.

       Tom> Let's go.

       Tom> Now.

   Count me out, and my money, too.  I wouldn't be good at it.  And I'm
   not willing to bet my money, when the whole point of putting money
   into it is to attract people who aren't particularly interested in the
   problem for itself to work on it.  _They_ won't be good at it, either.

   This is a task that requires people who are both very good at and
   interested in what they are doing.  We don't have many of those at
   all, for the desktop.  I just don't see how you intend to get past
   that obstacle.  Throwing money at it is unlikely to help IMO.

I agree with Stephen, wholeheartedly.

So why not save Alan Kay from certain slow death at Disney, and fund
him outside of that realm?  There are a quite a few hackers who would
love to cut their teeth working with Alan, and *he* certainly is both
very good at and very interested the way in which people use
computers.

Brian
== The Difference Between Cultures: ==
    Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit