Subject: Re: Objective IT review of Redhat
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 14:01:49 -0700 (PDT)

       >> Really, a little imagination,
       >> armed with good technological prejudices and backed up with
       >> money, can do a lot of good.  That's something we should have
       >> been doing for the past 5 years, at least.

       >> Let's go.

       >> Now.

	> Throwing money at it is unlikely to help IMO.

	So why not save Alan Kay from certain slow death at Disney,

Money is mostly needed to bootstrap R&D operations, for which one
appropriate task is cost recovery.  In the past few weeks alone, I've
stumbled across a variety of ways to try to implement cost recovery in
manners consitent with advanced, long-term, practical R&D in my
particular areas of interest.  Some of these cost recovery techniques
have, in my opinion, a decent chance not only of succeeding, but of
eventually producing substantial profit.

Is Alan Kay asking to be saved?  Does he have (or have good reason to
join) a research agenda that is relevant to our existing technology
basis set?  Is he dedicated to Free Software, including its commercial
success?  Are these areas he has been working on and thinking about
for a number of years?

-t