Subject: Re: ok, FSBs created schwag; now bet the farm on something better
From: davidw@dedasys.com (David N. Welton)
Date: 21 Sep 2001 18:40:59 +0200

Mark Eichin <eichin@thok.org> writes:

> I suppose it depends on what space you look at; my primary exposure
> is to infrastructure tools, so I see Athena (incl. kerberos) at MIT,
> OpenAFS at CMU, Heimdall/Arla at KTH, Cyrus (CMU again), etc.
> Perhaps that's because they're more focussed on solving technical
> problems [which they have because they're large universities] than
> movements :-)

The idea behind university research is to create something new and
move on, isn't it, instead of setting up the infrastructure to
maintain and incrementally develop an existing or mature product that
is possibly no longer at the cutting edge of development?

Python and Tcl both came out of university environments, and then
continued 'on their own', correct?

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/