Subject: Re: the .NET battle ends
From: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <shap@eros-os.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 16:00:08 -0400

>     Look, I detest the thought of the SSSCA.  I think it is a horrible
>     law that devastates industry.  However I can't even convince
>     myself that it is outside of the power of Congress to pass!

This is the wrong question -- or at least not the only question. While it is
possible and useful to pursue constitutional grounds for rejection, that is
pursuing a strategy that only becomes useful *after* the law is passed in
order to get it reversed by the courts.

Right now, the more important thing is to write letters to your congressman
and senators informing them that you strongly oppose the bill. The immediate
goal is to avoid having the bill pass in the first place.

With DMCA we are all playing catch-up ball. Let's not make the same mistake
with SSSCA.

Jonathan