Subject: Re: "I've got more programmers than you"
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 22:38:57 +0900

    >> Free industrial-strength RDBMS?  Just forget it.  Nobody can
    >> afford do the kind of exhaustive QC such a beast needs for
    >> free.  Yes, I know about PostgreSQL and like it a lot, but it
    >> will never catch up with Oracle, Sybase, Informix, etc. 'cause
    >> the project doesn't (and a crisp $20 says it won't so long as
    >> it's Free) have those kind of resources available.

    dblankley> Couldn't the same argument can be made about OS,
    dblankley> desktop or web-server???

No, probably, no.

The differences are Prob{X has development skills|X is user} and
(especially for the kernel) the low degree to which specifications are
determined by that notoriously chancy entity, the human user.

Ie, kernels can make a deal with app software: you play by my rules,
and I will never ever crash.  Humans would rather write their own
rules and there's big money to be made in reducing the resulting
crashes and corruption---but it's hard, annoying work, requiring big
payrolls, too.