Subject: Re: "I've got more programmers than you"
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 01:17:15 +0900

    Willem> I seem to remember that this sort of argument has been
    Willem> made in the past about just about every major piece of
    Willem> free software that we today take for granted.

Different argument.  We're talking about FSBs, not generic free
software projects.

    Willem> Given the pattern sofar, I wouldn't exclude any class of
    Willem> software from being viable as a free software project.

David Fetter already made your point for you.  PostgreSQL is right
here and now an excellent RDBMS.  Calling it "viable" would be an
insult.

What it is not is Oracle's competition.

    Willem> I would only differentiate on the timing.

In business, timing is everything.  That's why Tom pointed the issue
out in the first place.