Subject: Re: "I've got more programmers than you"
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 05:06:50 +0900

    >> Security through obscurity, I see.

    Ben> No, I didn't hide it, it just doesn't exist.

"Code is Law."  What's the best way to deny access to a resource?
Refuse to provide an interface to it.

You see, your kernel _does_ impose certain rules, and it enforces them
absolutely.  This makes it relatively easy to write a robust kernel,
because you unconsciously accept them.  (Here "unconsciously" is the
correct attitude to adopt, it's not a slur.)

Database design has not yet progressed to that point.  The users still
want access modes that the technology doesn't provide very
efficiently.  This means cutting corners, thus need for large
programmer and QA teams to get high reliability.  These need to be
paid for.