Subject: Re: "I've got more programmers than you"
From: David Fetter <>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 13:11:52 -0700

On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 03:54:05PM -0400, Geoff Crawshaw wrote:

> I'm not so sure that Oracle's position is that safe.  We have run a
> high volume ASP site on MySQL for over 2 years now with excellent
> performance and rock-solid stability.

To be brief, bullshit.

You're not doing anything that Oracle is built for, and, like the
people who produce MySQL, you're being quite dishonest about what
MySQL can and cannot do.  MySQL is a fragile--I have a lot of
experience with this--and non-scalable--plenty with this,
too--SQL-like front-end to flat files.  It is in no respect an RDBMS.

More detail, but nothing essentially different from the above, is at

For web logs, MySQL is tolerable.  For commerce, it's criminally

David Fetter
phone +1 415 567 2690  fax: +1 415 567 2340