Subject: Re: "I've got more programmers than you"
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 03 Oct 2001 13:27:50 -0700

Geoff Crawshaw <gcrawshaw@openair.com> writes:

> I'm not so sure that Oracle's position is that safe. We have run a
> high volume ASP site on MySQL for over 2 years now with excellent
> performance and rock-solid stability.

There are a lot of applications which use Oracle right now which don't
really need a full featured database.  They just need a reliable data
store.  For those places, MySQL or PostgreSQL are perfectly reasonable
alternatives.  In that sense, Oracle should clearly be worried.

For applications which really need a true database, in which the
database mediates and controls access to data, and/or in which you
need to search rapidly through more than 100 gigabytes or so, Oracle
is still, in my opinion, superior.  However, PostgreSQL is steadily
improving, and is likely to be a serious challenger in a couple of
years (it is still missing a list of items, some of which are being
worked on--schemas, packages, subtransactions, background VACUUM,
control over where data is stored).  (I don't consider MySQL to be a
true database at this time--it merely provides SQL access to a
reliable data store.)

Ian