Subject: Re: "I've got more programmers than you"
From: Peter Wayner <pcw2@flyzone.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 16:38:21 -0400

At 1:11 PM -0700 10/3/01, David Fetter wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 03:54:05PM -0400, Geoff Crawshaw wrote:
>
>>  I'm not so sure that Oracle's position is that safe.  We have run a
>>  high volume ASP site on MySQL for over 2 years now with excellent
>>  performance and rock-solid stability.
>
>To be brief, bullshit.
>
>You're not doing anything that Oracle is built for, and, like the
>people who produce MySQL, you're being quite dishonest about what
>MySQL can and cannot do.  MySQL is a fragile--I have a lot of
>experience with this--and non-scalable--plenty with this,
>too--SQL-like front-end to flat files.  It is in no respect an RDBMS.

I've spoken to the people who make MySQL and they're quite upfront
about the strengths and weaknesses of the tool. One explained it with
a metaphors about cars, trucks, SUVs etc. Corvettes and Unimogs have
different market niches. One is not better than the other.
  The same is true about databases. The good news for MySQL and
Postgres is that there's a large niche for them. Many websites need a
fast, basic database.

If he says he's had rock-solid performance, well, he knows that
answer better than anyone. I've had the same experiences.  On the
other hand, I know some other people who complain about MySQL being
fragile at times. So you may have a point too. The good news is that
these people also have access to the source code so they may actually
spot the bug. It may or may not happen, but the possibility is there.

Now, Oracle has a reputation for being rock solid, but software is
software and programmers and programmers. Is it really perfect? Ebay
was down for several days a year or so ago. Don't they run Oracle on
top of Sun? Can someone call "bullshit" about your claims about
Oracle too?

It's a tough equation to compute.

-Peter