Subject: Re: open-source news project
From: Steve Mallett <steve@opensourcedirectory.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 03:59:52 -0300

On Friday 05 October 2001 18:42, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> > I just built this: http://open5ource.net (yes, playing on k5) hoping to
> > recruit some volunteers to submit items that are of interest to their
> > o.s. interests.  FSB & L-D are likely the most interested parites.
> >
> > Yes, people can & could submit /. articles, *but* it's also, and mostly,
> > for the o.s. news that would never make /. headlines.  Stuff like:
> > Interesting discussions on (these two lists), Debian Weekly News,
> > conference announcements, interesting blog news, exclusive on-line
> > articles...
>
> Of course, there are already a few sites that do that...I'm curious about
> what's missing in the current Linux / free software news sites that calls
> for a new one?
>
> I have, of course, a definite self interest in the answer to that question
>
> :) At least, for a little while longer; I can tell you that the economics
>
> of news sites as FSBs are difficult, to say the least...
>
> jon
>
> Jonathan Corbet
> Executive editor, LWN.net
> corbet@lwn.net

I love LWN Jon.  I find 'open-source' focused sites few and far between.
Those that do exist are perhaps laced with content I would define as 'other'.
Where other sites may have 10-20 stories a day I may have 3-5??

*I am very much interested in sending folk to those sites where the
news/article actually is.  For instance, the articles I posted today (I got
impatient) clearly mark where the original story is in the subject line & the
story itself *is not* cut 'n' pasted into this site.

If there is no need it will die.  And rightly so.  If there is, it will
thrive or at least serve a few.
--
Steve Mallett | Stable, Open-Source Apps
http://OpenSourceDirectory.org | steve@opensourcedirectory.com

Project-Listing Maintenance In A Can: http://trovesendtwo.sf.net

webmaster@opensource.org  (Aug 15th/01,
I have nothing to do with license approval.)

http://Open5ource.net | News and Stories of Open-Source

"Non-cooperation with evil is as much a duty as cooperation with good."
        -- Mohandas Gandhi