Subject: Re: open source process issue
From: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <shap@eros-os.org>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 14:07:05 -0400

> you can cut
> corners and just hack, and get away with it (certainly works for
> oneself, and below a certain level of complexity) but eventually you
> need *something* to get past single-genius code limits...

I used to think this, but that was before I finished my second million lines
of code. Nowadays I tell my students that code lives forever, and that 10
years from now they won't have the foggiest bloody idea what they wrote
today and why.

Recognizing this requires a certain amount of "road rash". It's not easy for
students to internalize the idea that they will not retain a perfect memory
of everything they ever write.

Jonathan