Subject: Re: shooting holes in the sky
From: "Brian J. Fox" <bfox@ua.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 04:55:24 -0700

   Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 03:49:16 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>

   I get the cold sholder from various FSB execs and VCs when I propose
   business (or business unit) plans selected from the design space
   described below.  Would someone, perhaps, like to hire me and we can
   explore this particular space together?

If you want a warmer reception from VCs or business execs, I suggest
that you arrive at the door already having some customers -- or at
least, some potential customers.

Typically, value-added upsells in the "Internet Free Services" space
don't work.  eFax is great; as long as it is free.  Hotmail is the
bomb; I'm never going to pay for it.  Google is bitchin', but if you
ever tried to charge me for it, I'd stop using it immediately.

Interestingly enough, if you had two enterprise-grade customers for
your services, and you could show your business was scalable, the VCs
would find you, or you'd make a great acquisition target.  And then,
even if you didn't get funded for growth, or if your business wasn't
scalable, you'd still have a nice little business, wouldn't you?

It's always much easier to convince a business person that your plan
will succeed if you have already got a successful test case.

Brian
== The Difference Between Cultures: ==
    Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit
    Liberte', E'galite', Fraternite'