Subject: Re: shooting holes in the sky
From: Steve Mallett <steve@opensourcedirectory.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 16:50:59 -0300

On Tuesday 09 October 2001 10:16, dblankley@iwon.com wrote:
> >The basic idea of the thread, I think, is to take the free stuff, add
> > value &
> >sell that.  Nothing new, really.
>
> I think it's a little more than that.

I simply meant the K5 thread. Not the overall puzzle.

> The problem is developing the initial product to begin with.  This takes
> time and people, both of which take money.
>
> If I had money, or Tom or anyone, I wouldn't need the VC.  I need the VC
> to help me fund the development, because I need to be able to pay bills.
>
> Unfortunately, most VCs are, despite popular perception to the contrary,
> risk-averse lemmings, who have no interest in funding R&D.
> I think this is why alot of firms come out of universities -> grad students
> can afford to suffer through the initial product development.  It can then
> be sold, and then attract VC money.

Is the public sector (.gov) in the US funding *innovative* product
development?  If not: Perhaps an idea is to find a country that helps with
funding, setup shop there, hire their people, sell the developed product to
yourself in your country & go from there.  Sound crazy?  Welcome to Canada.

--
Steve Mallett | Stable, Open-Source Apps
http://OpenSourceDirectory.org | steve@opensourcedirectory.com

Project-Listing Maintenance In A Can: http://trovesendtwo.sf.net

webmaster@opensource.org  (Aug 15th/01,
I have nothing to do with license approval.)

http://Open5ource.net |  What's happening in Open-Source?

"Non-cooperation with evil is as much a duty as cooperation with good."
        -- Mohandas Gandhi