Subject: Re: Paying for development on a services model?
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 09 Oct 2001 22:02:55 -0700

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp> writes:

> And AFAIK Code Fusion was _never_ freed by Cygnus.  Doesn't that tell
> you something about where Cygnus thought their model of FSB was
> applicable?

I've somewhat lost track of the various Cygnus GUI projects (working
on one of them was one of my more horrific engineering experiences--I
think that one was shipped to only one customer).  But as I recall,
Code Fusion was essentially a packaging of Source Navigator, gcc, and
Insight (a gdb GUI).  Source Navigator and Insight were initially
proprietary, but both have been freed up and are available at
http://sources.redhat.com/.

In general, Cygnus started entirely free, and then came to a point
where a few projects were made proprietary.  My understanding is that
Red Hat freed everything up after the purchase.

Ian