Subject: Re: avoiding tragedy of the commons (was Re: ... services model?)
From: Christian Robottom Reis <kiko@async.com.br>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 06:43:06 -0300 (BRT)

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Tom Lord wrote:

> An FS R&D industry will get-real-funded if there are FSBs implementing
> next generation services with much higher margins.  That's a cycle:
> R&D feeds software to the next generation services; next generation
> services feed funding to R&D.

I would like to agree. But where do the higher margins come from? Right
now, the only proposal I could offer would be assembling consortiums of
companies that would like to develop or enhance software X. But I don't
know how well this would scale - large groups of customers sound like a
requirements nightmare.

> "Very high margins" means that next generation services won't look
> much like classical FS services.  A radical new service model requires
> some structural changes in the software architecture (no, I'm not
> (only) harping on my call for non-MS GUI architectures -- this is a
> larger issue than just that one example).

So what would they look like, these new service providers?

Take care,