Subject: Re: shooting holes in the sky
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 15:38:22 -0700 (PDT)

       > As an example, let's aim for a measly 4*8500 or 34,000 paying
       > customers.

       How will you get them ???

I guess you haven't noticed that I'm trying to weasel around that
question because I want to work it through in the specific context of
a company that's paying me.  The generic details are a "trade secret".
The site-specific details will depend on what that company is
tactically poised to be able to do.

But I'll make some of the hints I've already written here less opaque:

	One way is to target professionals with content that makes them
	noticably more effective.  There are many specific ways to
	expand upon "professionals", "content", and "more effective".

	Another general strategy is to get a 3rd party to make the purchasing
	decision on behalf of a large number of subscribers -- at least to
	get things going.  There are many good ways to do that.

	Another general strategy is to make the site pretty much free,
	but with a service differential that is worth $10/month to
	enough people.

	I agree with those who say (usually more verbosely) that it's
	not as simple as just setting up a site and hoping people sign
	up one by one.

-t