Subject: Re: shooting holes in the sky
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 17:19:36 -0700 (PDT)

       I was *not* kidding about funding through pr0n sites.  Is there
       something really big that I'm missing here?

At least two big things.

Would the FS R&D be a legitimate business expense of the porn site?
How does the FS R&D contribute to the business' methods of making
money?  The IRS and SEC would like to know.

Or would the porn site be simply an investment of the FS R&D business?
If the FS R&D business gets all of its money from external investments
in things like porn sites, then are the R&D activities really a
legitimate business expense?  or is it really just a holding company
for those other investments?  The IRS and SEC would like to know.

This ain't like selling "Linux rocks!" T-shirts or being willing to
lose money on some specialized distro or service that's technically
far afield of your current primary money maker.  Porn is a completely
unrelated business, by any reasonable accounting.

Beyond accounting: I suppose you could run a porn site and then just
give a portion of the proceeds, charitably or privately, to FS R&D
activities.  That'd be pretty far afield of the ethical reasons why
people try to make FSBs profitable in and of themselves.

-t