Subject: Re: Mandatory donations or build from CVS...
From: Norbert Bollow <nb@thinkcoach.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 15:55:08 +0200

> > http://www.theoretic.com/ransom . "Hold your
> > code for Ransom"
>
> this is the single most sensible idea I've heard yet
> on this list for funding open source development.
>
> the crux of the problem is that IF software
> development incurs significant costs, open-sourcing
> the software allows no way to ammortize those costs
> through versioning (which requires the source to be at
> least slightly closed).

I agree that this is a very interesting idea.  The publisher of
the software has many options for soliciting payments, and still
(unless the demands are unreasonable) the code will be Free
after some time.

One important point that needs to be considered is that many
developers don't want their code to be re-used in proprietary
programs, ever.  So I propose the drafting of a new license that
allows code re-use in ransomed and in Free software, but which
does not allow code re-use in proprietary software.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A member of FreeDevelopers and the DotGNU Steering Committee: dotgnu.org
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com