Subject: Re: Mandatory donations or build from CVS...
From: Mark Eichin <eichin@thok.org>
Date: 12 Oct 2001 11:21:07 -0400

> have two options:

Oh, and I have the third option:

3. wait for someone to fetch it from cvs and package it for debian, at
   which point I "apt-get install cool-oss-package"

(I find this is my primary access path to free software today - if
something strikes me as *really* cool I package it myself for others
to use as well.  It drastically lowers the bar for trying something
that *might* be cool [though it sometimes leads to "oh, the release
version is pretty cool, I'll go play with the CVS one now"] as well.)

And if you really have an open source license, this isn't
unreasonable (certainly no more unreasonable than "mandatory donation"
:-) but just as clearly "doesn't work" if the goal is to bring in
money, rather than to put out software that makes the world a better
place.

On the business side, I don't offhand know of a business model that
scales *down* to a single small program, among the things that have
gone by here.  openculture.org is more likely to work for smaller
scale "pay me to develop" projects...