Subject: Re: Mandatory donations or build from CVS...
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 09:01:08 +0200

On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 12:50:38AM -0000, Seth Gordon wrote:
>    > Some people who provide "content" over the Internet need to
>    > *seriously* get over the idea that the world owes them a living.
>
>    Then maybe some users need to *seriously* get over the idea that
>    the Internet owes them content :)
>
> When Salon started moving its more interesting stuff to its "Salon
> Premium" pages, I asked myself: "Is access to the content of Salon
> worth the cost of subscribing?"  About five seconds later, I answered:
> "No."  Salon doesn't owe me anything, and I don't owe them anything.

you asked the wrong question.  Is it worth supporting diversity and
multiplicity of information sources on the internet, or is it
acceptable to let them die one by one, until what is left is
  - by subscription anyway
  - the lowest quality, because that is what will interest a larger public

Freedom is usually not free.

It may be that enough good sources will remain available without paying.
But are we willing to take the risk ?

On the other hand ... we like variety, and cannot pay for all publications.

Bernard

> --
> "The conventional wisdom has it that when a program intended for multiple
> users is to be written, specifications should be designed in advance....
> Some people know better than this, but they have been silenced."
>   --Richard M. Stallman
> == Seth Gordon == sethg@ropine.com == http://ropine.com/ == std. disclaimer ==

                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX