Subject: Re: Mandatory donations or build from CVS...
From: Seth Gordon <sethg@ropine.com>
Date: 14 Oct 2001 18:27:25 -0000

   > When Salon started moving its more interesting stuff to its "Salon
   > Premium" pages, I asked myself: "Is access to the content of Salon
   > worth the cost of subscribing?"  About five seconds later, I answered:
   > "No."  Salon doesn't owe me anything, and I don't owe them anything.

   you asked the wrong question.  Is it worth supporting diversity and
   multiplicity of information sources on the internet, or is it
   acceptable to let them die one by one, until what is left is
     - by subscription anyway
     - the lowest quality, because that is what will interest a larger public

Salon is not a charity.  Salon is a corporation that received heaps of
money from investors who expected a share of the corporation's
profits.  They invested unwisely.  I have no interest in helping bail
them out.

--
"Everything I write is autobiographical, and none of it is true."
  --E. L. Doctorow