Subject: Fwd: Re: ransom
From: Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@free-expression.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 02:07:25 -0500

On Monday 15 October 2001 03:38, Tom Lord wrote:
> Isn't holding code for ransom kind of obnoxious?

    On the other hand, isn't expecting an individual to spend his
precious time on software without expecting a nickel pretty obnoxious?
Particularly the looking down one's nose at those who see compensation
as necessary?

> Why should individual developers have to stoop to such levels
> just to get paid?

    Ooh, ooh, I know the answer to this one.
     It's because we live in a capitalist society (at least in the US)
and have to put food on the table somehow.
     And "we" don't have the collective sense to fund an industry with
negligible marginal costs differently than one with substantial
marginal costs.

Lynn