Subject: Re: crux of the essence
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 04:33:13 -0700 (PDT)

       On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 03:47:47AM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:
       > Suppose it really is impossible to get, at least approximately, "per
       > copy" payment for a free software product.  In that case, isn't this
       > a fundamental bug in capitalism -- a complete disincentive to write
       > certain kinds of program?

       Which kinds of program does this sufficiently discourage? I note that
       certain kinds of program, up to and including full-scale operating
       systems, have been written without the expectation of per-copy payment.

Well, any software targetted at individual users (as constrasted with,
say, IT server infrastructure).

According to the hypotheses some have put forward on this list,
Ximian's Red Carpet will fail.  For example, it will be mirrored, and
they therefore won't make any money.

MSFT, on the other hand, gets revenue per individual user.  They can
send auditors into your office to make sure of that.  Thus, they can
afford to invest a lot in this market, and any adjacent markets.

-t