Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: ransom
From: Simon Cozens <simon@netthink.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 11:20:14 +0100

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 03:12:02AM -0700, Kevin A. Burton wrote:
> It isn't very easy to get a job as a Software Engineer with no sell out factor.
> It happens sometimes but not for me....

If it *really* is that important to you to have zero sell-out factor, then
take a job in academentia, go it alone as a consultant or (shock, horror) do a
non-programming job and hack in your spare time. I've done all three; it
works. Living as a tentmaker just to get by is not without precedent.

On the other hand, it may be more productive for the Free Software movement as
a whole to be more pragmatic; anything that enables the creation of Free
Software which would not have otherwise been created is a Good Thing, and if
that's a moderately sell-outy job, then so be it.

But if you want "pure" options, there are plenty of them around.

> You can always make money with Free Software... but look at Stallmans
> lifestyle.  He makes about 20k a year and lives in a room at MIT.  He is doing a
> LOT better in recent years but for a long time he lived like a hermit.
> This is a bad thing :(

I can't speak for Richard. I don't know whether or not he likes his lifestyle.
I wouldn't be surprised if he would argue that if his lifestyle were the price
of complete freedom, he'd bear it joyfully.

--
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.
-H.S. Thompson