Subject: Re: crux of the essence
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 21:21:27 -0700 (PDT)

       Stephen J. Turnbull writes:

       > The _GNU Manifesto_ and _Information Rules_ between them do a
       > bangup job of explaining how all this works.  Add in some
       > Ronald Coase and a dash of Oliver Williamson, it's a
       > weekend's worth of reading.

I found some synopsis of Coase via the first page of Google.  Not as
much luck with Williamson.  Both look interesting, so thanks.

Before I start the books, did you have something specific in mind?
For example, in the software world, we rely heavily on contentiously
constructed property rights -- and Coase offers a theory relating
property rights to economic efficiency.  Do you have a specific
application of Coase's theory in mind regarding Free Software?

-t