Subject: Re: crux of the essence
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 10:31:03 +0900

    Tom> The good 'ol days of big expense accounts, fancy restaurants
    Tom> and clubs, nice hotels, public art, comfortable air travel,
    Tom> three martini lunches -- I think those things did a lot of
    Tom> good.

C'mon, Tom, those days aren't gone.  Certainly not in the "Asian
values" sector (have you noticed that the only fat people in Japan are
politicians and retired executives?), or in Chirac's Enarque crowd, or
among the Russian oligarchs.

Do you really want to keep such company?  That's your choice, you
know: those privileges cannot be made universal without vast
improvements in productivity.  Gross world product per head still
won't pay for a round trip Tokyo-San Francisco in economy class IIRC;
forget about business class.

It always amazes me that people whose profession is computation never
bother to get a little tiny bit of data and actually _do_ some.