Subject: Re: crux of the essence
From: Jean Camp <jean_camp@harvard.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 21:46:19 -0400

I do not necessarily disagree or agree.  I don't understand the
implications. I intended to argue that we could return to copyright
-- including the requirement that material to be protected be
identified rather than the idea that everything is 'born owned'
(Berne owned?); that copies be made available for educational
purposes; that protection be  quite limited (ransom?); and that
equipment owners not necessarily own all material created by the
equipment.

Do you intend your implication to be that we could simply afford more
error in the creation of information markets when physical goods were
critical and thus that copyright was fundamentally flawed from the
beginning? And now we need a less flawed mechanism for assigning
rights? And what would that be?

I would like to learn more about information ownership in non-Western
culture. Does anyone have a scholarly reference for that? I have a
world copyright book but it really just traces compliance with
Western concepts of copyright after the end of Colonialism. Clearly
those concepts of ownership as embedded in non-western cultures
failed in comparison with the information ownership of the West with
respect to harnessing the power of printed information for innovation
but this does not mean that the other models will fare worse for
harnessing digital information.

-Jean