Subject: Re: impolitic statements (business model clues for the clueless
From: Steve Mallett <steve@opensourcedirectory.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 22:10:34 -0300

On Thursday 18 October 2001 08:04, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> Steve Mallett <steve@opensourcedirectory.com> wrote:
> > As an aside, I hate the _idea_ of paying someone to do a job
> > that I expect to be done correctly in the first place.
>
> I think developers cannot reasonably be _expected_ to produce
> reasonable docs until they're somehow getting paid for what they
> do.

I reserve all rights to changing my mind & correcting my own previous errrors
or misinterpretations in speaking my mind:  'Expect' may have been too strong
a word. "Should" isn't though.

Creating a _gift_ within a gift culture does have a last step.  In this case
delivery.  For instance if I were to create a gift for you Norbert & had to
ship it to you would it be reasonable that I put all the info on the package
so it could be delivered?  How about if you opened it up & it was something
you had no idea of what it was?  A note explaining it _should_ be inclosed.

Detailed & long-toothed documentation of the gift, I'm not addressing.

Again, if I _expected_ it to be done I would bitch & moan that it wasn't.
Which I'm clearly not doing.  It _should_ be done, so I'm helping to get it
done.  blah, blah blah.
--
Steve Mallett | Stable, Open-Source Apps
http://OpenSourceDirectory.org | steve@opensourcedirectory.com

Project-Listing Maintenance In A Can: http://trovesendtwo.sf.net

webmaster@opensource.org  (Aug 15th/01,
I have nothing to do with license approval.)

"Non-cooperation with evil is as much a duty as cooperation with good."
        -- Mohandas Gandhi