Subject: Re: impolitic statements (business model clues for the clueless
From: Christian Robottom Reis <kiko@async.com.br>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 12:20:22 -0200 (BRST)

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Norbert Bollow wrote:

> I think developers cannot reasonably be _expected_ to produce
> reasonable docs until they're somehow getting paid for what they
> do.

Well, that might be true, but does that mean that

a) People won't document by free will.
b) People's freewill to create documents stops when they've done the
simpler parts, so docs will always be incomplete.
c) Documentation requires a mindset that the developer will always lack.

or yet

d) Our documentation methods are too troublesome to be used.

I'm not sure myself. In the bugzilla project there is a lot of
documentation, and I think it's basically because there is a policy to
keep things documented that's regularly enforced. And none of the docs
come from anyone @netscape.com. When a project grows enough, you start
getting people working in fringe areas that start to look "cool" to
outsiders - take mpt and the mozilla UI effort, for instance. We didn't
really have UI hackers until recently, which shows projects are going out
in other directions than before.

Of course, bugzilla's a developer tool so the docs don't expect newbies.

Take care,