Subject: Re: torvalds
From: Mark Eichin <eichin@thok.org>
Date: 20 Oct 2001 16:52:38 -0400

> I'm sure I'll regret this, but ... what language do you think kernels
> should be written in?

Ada95 is the obvious choice (RTEMS being a worked example.)  Java is
differently-flawed, but there's some potential for java-like languages
in that space.  Of course, something like the Flux OSkit with any
high-level-language (the def'n of which we can debate elsewhere) on
top is an improvement; a random example from the net:

	New OSKit 0.96 released and a "Scheme machine"
	http://lists.tunes.org/archives/lispos/1998-December/002514.html

But that may have suffered from the "all scheme projects are doomed"
syndrome, as I don't see a more recent reference.  (And no, I don't
have any theories about the syndrome, just lots of evidence.)

(Then again - is anyone here *building* from-the-metal-up in a free
software business?  Or are we all just using free operating systems as
leverage [which they certainly provide...])