Subject: Re: lab director duties
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 15:56:12 -0700 (PDT)

	eichin write:

	>> That points to a trend: new technologies for very high level
	>> programming that sneak up on established paradigms and then plow them
	>> under a snowbank of Superior Abstractions.

	> Trend, or software hacker fantasy? The "scheme machine" is an
	> excellent talking point, "see, we can build lisp machines again!" but
	> as far as I can tell, that's the entirety of the "snowbank"...  or am
	> I being too cynical, having not had my morning tea yet?

I didn't mean that the Scheme machine was a Superior Abstraction
(maybe it could be, but that isn't what I meant).  I meant that the
FluxKit either is a Superior Abstraction, or points out where a
Superior Abstraction might lie (that's an example of where some
experiments and measurements would be useful).

High-level compiler construction tools and high-level kernel
construction tools both show lots of promise as orders-of-magnitude
labor-saving and accuracy-increasing tools.

-t