Subject: Re: ESR
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 16:08:03 -0700 (PDT)

       > ESR is responding to some very disturbing comments by MS's
       > head of security, suggesting in essence that MS security
       > flaws are the fault of the computer security experts at
       > large.

       > You can disown him if you please. I think he's right.

I'd be more comfortable if he talked a lot about the weaknesses in
open source engineering practices and software -- and how they might
be improved.

In that context some slams at MSFT would be fine, to the extent they
were quite accurate.

Otherwise, he's just helping to market MSFT's next generation
"security wizards" while setting up Linux's reputation as
the stable and secure alternative for a big fall.

-t