Subject: Re: engineering counts
From: "Forrest J. Cavalier III" <mibsoft@mibsoftware.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 07:32:04 -0400 (EDT)

"Jonathan S. Shapiro" <shap@eros-os.org>

> Finally, I think you underestimate the impact of collateral damage from poor
> software. My expectation is that software liability is about to hit us all
> between the eyes because of this. This is a value chain that is outside the
> bounds of the one normally adressed by marketing.

It isn't addressed by marketing because there are few market forces
to make it worthwhile to address.  The market works on what it can
see.  Benefits are experienced immediately, so that is what gets
all the attention.  Liability and risk become visible with the
occurrence of loss or damage, which happens after a long delay.