Subject: On topic. 'Signalling'
From: Steve Mallett <steve@opensourcedirectory.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 13:01:23 -0300

Here's an interesting piece I find especially interesting for FSBs and
high-concept technologies in general:  Signalling.
http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/news/spence_2001nobel.html

This guy won this years Nobel in economics.  The basic idea, in my limited
understanding, is that in a situation where the consumer is underinformed
they unwittingly seek 'signals' from the seller which indicate a product's
worth.  People do seem underinformed/confused about FSBs services and FS in
general.  What signals do you send?

I recently went to my local quikie-mart & saw a SuSE boxed set there.  Next
to it was the recent Mandrake disto.  The SuSE box was twice the price.  As
an informed consumer I couldn't justify buying at double the price for any
reason mentioned on the box.  I wonder about the uninformed consumer's
reaction.  Would they buy it because it is twice the price?  Is that a
signal? To some I'm sure. Perhaps the price is outlandish? Perhaps they
didn't signal me.

P.S.  I buy the occasional boxed set.
--
Steve Mallett | Stable, Open-Source Apps
steve@opensourcedirectory.com | http://OSDir.org

Project-Listing Maintenance In A Can: http://trovesendtwo.sf.net

webmaster@opensource.org  (Aug 15th/01, I have nothing to do with license
approval.)

"Non-cooperation with evil is as much a duty as cooperation with good."
        -- Mohandas Gandhi