Subject: Cygnus Supoprt
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 02:12:31 -0700 (PDT)

Cygnus was another great example of the intertwingling of engineering
process, tools, and revenue opportunties.

They essentially implemented my "lemonade stand" example, but at a
scale sufficient to generate real revenues.

During the time I was there, their process matured quite a bit -- and
they invested in tools to make that possible.

So the questions I'm getting at are: what's the next level of process?
how can that pattern be abstracted and then applied to all FS
projects?  Where are the process parameters that can be made "for
sale"?  and what are the business models that can bring those
parameters to market?

Good answers to those questions should also point out how to organize
engineering bandwidth for innovative R&D.

-t