Subject: Re: CNET: The coming open monopoly in software
From: "Brian J. Fox" <bfox@ua.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 09:33:39 -0700

   From: Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@xemacs.org>
   Date: 25 Oct 2001 22:32:15 +0900

       >> software. At the same time, each unit downloaded increases the
       >> barrier to competition.

       Zimran> so untrue and muddled, not even going to comment.

   I don't really disagree about untrue.  However, Fisher et al thought
   the notion of installed base as barrier to entry sufficiently
   important to devote dozens of pages to debunking it.

That's interesting to me.  Because Fisher (while testifying for the
DOJ in DOJ vs MSFT) stated that MSFT's distribution policies with IE
"were designed to prevent competing browsers [..] from gaining enough
following that they could seriously undermine Windows."

That sounds like number-of-downloads (i.e., market share), is related
to barrier to entry.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Brian
== The Difference Between Cultures: ==